Monday 15 September 2014

Jackson Hole, Wyoming

Leaving my motel in southwest Utah and heading north - a very long way north, two days' drive - through the plains of Idaho into the mountains of Wyoming, it was nice to see the rocks turning from pink to white, and to feel the breeze blowing a little cooler. Utah is great, but it's very hot, and indeed the main reason I did the Zion hike so quickly was that I just couldn't wait to get back under the aircon. Here in Jackson Hole, I'm wearing jeans rather than shorts in the evening, and when I got to the top of Table Mountain (see pics) the breeze was distinctly chilly. Bliss.

The Table Mountain hike is listed by the National Park Service as nine hours. Pah, again. I was up and down in less than six. Disappointingly, I didn't see any bears.

Beers, unlike bears, are in plentiful supply. In this area we have the Snake River, Roadhouse and Grand Teton breweries, all worthy of note. The standout for me has been Snake River's Hoback Hefeweizen, a really lovely unfiltered wheat beer with a hint of banana.



Grand Teton (13,776ft), seen facing east from Table Mountain (11,106ft)


Facing north from Table Mountain

Facing west, back down the trail, which you can see running down the middle of the ridge.
It then drops into the forest to the right.


Looking back up the trail from halfway down.
Table Mountain is the peak at the top of the ridge - the nipple-shaped one.
I'm not being funny. Grand Teton park is named for 'teton', the French word for 'teat'.

A mellow piece of Wyoming, near the bottom of the trail.


Edd vs Food #13
My first-ever bison burger, at the Mangy Moose bar in Jackson Hole.
Bison is quite nice, but not as nice as llama - see La Paz, Bolivia in February 2012 below (on the website)

At Jackson Lake - this looks like a better option than the hire car.