Wednesday 21 September 2022

Milwaukee, Wisconsin (revisited)

As I write, the pound sterling has just sunk to $1.14, its lowest level since Marty McFly first jumped into the DeLorean. This, plus burgeoning inflation, plus the war, means that compared with earlier American travels I'm paying double or more for everything: car rental, petrol, motels, AirBnBs, beer, food. This is all first world problems, of course. But I do miss the good old days of getting two dollars to the quid. You don't know what you've got til it's gone.

There haven't been many big cities on this trip, but of those I've visited, Milwaukee was the best by a mile. So it was a no-brainer to come back here for a brief spell of leisure before flying home. It's full of good breweries & taprooms, and it's easily accessible via Chicago. Accordingly it's an ideal place for a lads' holiday, and I look forward to discussing this with the lads once I'm back.

The way I've mixed city & country on this trip has given me a vivid picture of the divisions in American society. Big cities are full of tattooed and pierced social justice warrior types riding electric scooters; rural areas are full of sports-loving God-country-family types driving pickup trucks and Harleys. The two groups don't mix well. I have to say that, given the choice between a vegan nut roast with the former or a barbecue with the latter, I'd load up on beer & sausages every time. Although I'd have to keep my mouth firmly shut when it came to God, abortion, gun control or universal healthcare...

But I can never be too hard on our Stateside cousins. It's more than 100 years since they took over the mantle of global leadership from us, and despite everything they hold it still; and I'm in no hurry for them to give it up, if only because when they do, it'll be the Chinese Communist Party that takes the reins. Centuries from now, when the history of the USA is written, there will be much talk of Decline and Fall. But I firmly believe that we are not quite yet in the Fall, and we should be thankful for it. Again, you don't know what you've got til it's gone.

One more blog to go and you won't guess where from. Unless of course you already know.


I can't be the only hungry expat Brit to see this font & colour scheme and think...
....sausage rolls!

Edd vs Food #111
Healthy eating...
Feta carrot tartine at Centraal, 2306 S Kinnickinnic Ave, Milwaukee
Garam masala carrot purée, crumbled feta, caramelized walnuts, balsamic vinegar, grilled sourdough


Edd vs Food #112
Unhealthy eating.
'Hodge Podge' at Benelux, 346 N Broadway, Milwaukee
Melted cheddar, bacon, sausage, fried egg, potatoes, chorizo cream gravy, pico de gallo

Edd vs Food #113
Somali goat platter at the Blue Star Cafe, 1619 North Farwell Avenue, Milwaukee 

My UK-USA plug adaptor (left) looks vaguely like a 'Scream' mask.
The USA sockets (right) look vaguely like they're frightened by it.

Google map of the places I've visited in the USA.
Doesn't include gas stations and coffee breaks.
Time to address other countries, starting in 2023.