Wednesday 14 September 2022

Arkansas

There are 50 states in the United States. Hawaii is an island (several islands in fact) in the Pacific; Alaska sits on the far side of Canada. The other 48 are all in one big lump and are generally referred to as the 'contiguous' or 'conterminous' states. They're sometimes called the 'lower' 48, but this is a bit misleading as it dates from before the statehood of Hawaii, which is 'lower' than any of them.

I've never been to Hawaii or Alaska, but after my fleeting visit to Arkansas I can now say that over the past fourteen years I've set foot in every single one of the contiguous 48. Reaching this milestone was, rather trainspotterishly, one of the main reasons for making this trip. I am so proud of myself. 

This blog will of course get to Hawaii and Alaska at some point, make no mistake about that. Undoubtedly I'll also come back over here in future years for shorter trips, like social occasions and perhaps the odd hiking holiday. But there will be no more blogging from the contiguous 48. My appetite for long-distance American road trips is now quite definitively exhausted, and I must find new worlds to conquer. Ideally, worlds in a more convenient time zone for watching Test cricket matches that begin at 11am BST. And worlds with a more favourable exchange rate to the pound sterling. 

Speaking of the pound, it's always a bit strange to have to come home and re-acquaint myself with the old familiar British coins after a month or two of nickels and dimes and quarters. This time it'll be considerably more strange to find that some of those British coins have a new portrait on one side of them. (I take it you've all heard the news by now.) I wish His Majesty the very best of luck in his new job. I'll need a new job myself pretty soon, but in the meantime I still have a couple more updates to come before going home.

Waterfall at Tanyard Creek, Bella Vista, Arkansas

Woolly mammoth at the Museum of Native American History in Bentonville.
Did I mistake this mammuthus primigenius for a mammut americanum?
I guess I mastodon.

Another exhibit at the Museum of Native American History.
Even traditional native societies were not immune from the scourge of the man-bag.

This is how we roll.
This is also, from time to time, how we sleep.

Only in America (part one):
It's OK to go shopping while armed, provided that you hide your gun.


Edd vs Food #109
Southern fried chicken with gravy & mash
Hiwasse Diner, 13548 W State Highway 72, Hiwasse, Arkansas
Only in America (part two):
You order gravy and they ask you what colour.

Edd vs Food #110
Chicken & bacon ranch in a garlic wrap with french fries
B List Burger Bar, 1721 Forest Hills Boulevard, Bella Vista, Arkansas
Only in America (part three):
Wraps like this. They're never quite as good anywhere else. They just aren't.