Wednesday 7 September 2022

Kansas

Kansas is tornado country, and this is tornado season, and I was childishly hoping I might get to see one. But it didn't happen. Speaking of tornados, I did my homework on the 'Wizard Of Oz' before driving out here. It was all filmed in California. Dorothy's hometown, fictional or otherwise, is never named. Nothing to actually see here in Kansas, apart from an opportunistic museum near Topeka, the state capital, which I didn't bother with. I suppose the Oz theme might at least have provided me with a witty tagline with which to close out this year's travels, ie, "there's no place like home". But I'm not going home just yet.

I got to indulge my inner cretin by going to Dodge, purely so that I could get the hell out of it, ha ha. The main attraction there is the Boot Hill Museum, built on the site of the original main street, full of whisky saloons and other Wild West-themed exhibits. It's all rather stupid and pointless, but fun with it. See pictures below for the stupidest and pointlessest bits.

Elsewhere, I popped into Wichita, which has two pop music connections: 'Wichita Lineman' by Glen Campbell, and a brief mention in 'Seven Nation Army' by the White Stripes. And can I think of anything else interesting to say about Kansas? Can I heck. It looks like how you imagine it: flat, huge, full of farmland and not much else. Still, it's another new state visited, and I shall enlarge upon this theme in my next blog.


Little Jerusalem Badlands State Park
This is pretty much the only bit of actual scenery in Kansas.
Everything else is just fields.

Am I the only one who didn't know this???
At the Boot Hill Museum in Dodge City.

I'm appalled by this regressive attitude towards gender stereotypes.
Having only two options invalidates the lived experiences of non-binary people.
Solidarity with cowtheys and cowthems all over the world.

Wild West gunfight re-enactment at Boot Hill Museum.
Those are real guns, but they're firing blanks.
I'm pleased to say that Alec Baldwin was not involved.

Dick Liquor. Say it out loud. On second thoughts, don't.
This was in a little town called Chanute, Kansas. I did buy some beers here...
I didn't just stand outside doing a Beavis & Butthead impression. Honest.


Edd vs Food #108
Chicken Boss Burrito at Taco John's
I don't think I've reviewed a fast food chain in a while?
Better than Taco Bell, but not as good as Chipotle, and priced accordingly.
In Taco John's, the crunchy things on the right are called 'potato olés' rather than 'tater tots'.