Friday 31 May 2013

Sunderland, England

Friday lunchtime on the platform at Sunderland station. Waiting for the Grand Central train down to York. In a nearby pushchair, a little boy of no more than two years old is chanting 'f**k off, f**k off, f**k off' at me, while his two fake-tanned teenage girl minders stare vacantly into the distance...

So I go outside to get a sandwich from Milligan's. A scrawny, sunken-eyed junkie is having a big shouting match with his missus outside William Hill. Crowds are gathering to watch. She goes into the station and he follows her. Two police officers show up and the junkie is dragged out in handcuffs via the escalator, screaming and kicking out at them as he goes...

Welcome home. (Sanitarium).

Anyway, that's the end of my travel blog for 2013. The next Odyssey of Edd - an 'Edyssey', if you will - is due in the summer of 2014. I haven't yet decided where I'm going and all suggestions are welcome. In the meantime, thanks for reading.