Tuesday 28 May 2013

Boston, MA

I'm very glad to be in Boston, mainly because my last two blogs have been a bit dull and now I actually have something to write about. In fairness neither Toronto nor Niagara Falls were all that dull in themselves; it's just that I didn't stick around long enough for anything interesting to happen.

I found downtown Toronto a bit too trendy for my taste (weird designer haircuts, vulgar designer clothes, stupid little yappy designer dogs) but I dare say next time I'm there I'll get out and explore properly. Niagara Falls was very nice, although I didn't stay at the Falls themselves - I'm way too cheap for that - I stayed in Buffalo instead. There I sank a few beers with an Australian chap called Owen. He was a cynical, sexist, self-centred lager lout...but apart from that, we had nothing in common, so I didn't stay out too late. The hostel was full of junior high kids on a trip from New York and after midnight some of the young lads had sneaked out of their dorms and back into the common room. Owen and I gave them valuable life advice, mainly quoting Grandpa in the film 'Little Miss Sunshine'.

So anyway...Boston. This was probably my top priority of all the US cities which were new to me on this trip. In the event, though, things got off to a very slow start due to it p*ssing down with rain non-stop throughout the first two of my four full days here. Fortunately things have brightened since, with sunshine and interesting architecture and nice green spaces all over the city. It's been Memorial Day weekend, and naturally the various events and services across Boston have an especial significance this year.

I've visited the university campuses of Harvard (rich, picturesque) and MIT (functional, ugly). I've also walked the whole of the Freedom Trail route, which leads tourists around various historical sites throughout the city centre, commemorating the struggle for independence against the dastardly totalitarianism of the evil British imperialists, etc etc, and the final triumph of American liberty. 'Liberty' in this case applying only to white male landowners, of course. One mustn't get too cynical, however, because it's all fairly tasteful and not too jingoistic.

On Monday night I had the best burrito of my trip to date - and that's really saying something, because I've had a lot of burritos - from El Pelón Taquería, on Peterborough St. El Pelón is Spanish for 'baldy', so I guess it was meant to be! And it's been a while since I provided any new craft beer recommendations, so here are a couple that I drank to wash down my burrito: Rapscallion Honey and Lagunitas IPA. Some American IPAs emphasise hoppy flavours at the expense of everything else, but the Lagunitas was a fine blend of hoppiness, sweetness and drinkability.

On the way to El Pelón, I walked past Fenway Park, with the floodlights on for the Boston Red Sox versus the Philadelphia Phillies. But having tried baseball in Chicago in 2008, and hated it, I had no desire to try it again.

Boston is an expensive place - seek for a city centre hotel room under $200, and ye shall not find - but it's worth it. I think I'd probably have to come back and spend some more time here before I could put Boston up there with Chicago and San Francisco. It might happen yet.


Looking south from the Longfellow Bridge, just east of MIT


The hallowed halls of Harvard

The Old State House.
One of the birthplaces of the Revolution, still standing amidst more recent developments.

Edd vs Food #11
Homemade chipotle meatloaf on country white toast
with applewood smoked bacon, Romaine lettuce, tomatoes, and a chipotle aioli.
Served with garlic mashed potatoes and gravy.
At the Parish Café on Boylston St.


I had a pint here.
Despite what the advert said, not everybody knew my name.

33,000 US flags - one for every Massachusetts serviceman killed in action since the Civil War - on Boston Common.

Boston Common

?!