Tuesday 12 January 2021

Cartagena, Spain

This is my 10th big backpacking trip. Up until today, the longest of those trips was the first one, way back in 2008. But I've been travelling in Spain nearly four months now, and as of today this trip is now my longest ever, with no end in sight yet. 

It wasn't meant to be this way. When I set off last September I thought I'd just have a brief meander around Spain for a couple of months, while this second-wave malarkey sorted itself out, and then go home in time for Christmas reunions with family, friends, Greggs, cask ales, and rain. But 2020 has not been the year of Things Going To Plan.

In past blogs I've mentioned the subtle distinction between travelling and tourism, and how I'm happy to admit that much of what I do on these trips is the latter and not the former. Right now it's neither. I'm just kind of...floating. There is nothing adventurous about this. I'm deep, deep inside my own personal comfort zone. But would I be camel-hitching around Outer Mongolia if it wasn't for Covid? Probably not, to be honest.

Naturally I'm not complaining. 2020 has been an awful year for loss of life, for elderly people deprived of the chance to make the most of their last months, and for teenagers who've had their education knocked sideways. For me it has just meant an enforced long holiday, a First World Problem if ever there was one.

Madrid is currently neck-deep in snow, as you may have noticed in the news, but there's none of that here on the south-east coast. The sky is blue and the sea breezes are only slightly chilly. The best thing about Cartagena is hiking in the hills that surround the harbour, enjoying the views (see photos) and savouring the aforementioned breezes. I could easily get used to this. Which is just as well really.

One of the world's great natural harbours.
Cartagena has been the key naval base of the western Mediterranean for millenia.
This photo is a panorama from Atalaya Castle, to the north-west.

Cartagena is basically a harbour rather than a beach resort, hence it's not really a tourist hotspot.
Here's the little bit of beach it does have: Cala Cortina, just around the corner to the south-east.

Roman theatre in the city centre

In the distance on the left is one of those billionaire plaything yachts. Helipad, etc.
I managed to make out the name on the hull: "Vibrant Curiosity". 
See details here, for those who take a prurient interest in such things...

View from the south-west, up near the Galeras castle

"Secure Borders, Secure Neighbourhoods". Because only foreigners commit crimes!
Vox are Spain's biggest far-right political party. Kind of like our BNP, but better-dressed.
Also with a steady vote share of about 15%, and 52 seats out of 350 in the national parliament.
Clearly both billboards are aiming at the same demographic.

Cartagena has a strong military tradition. Here is a statue of a submarine, seen from the rear.
From this angle I think it looks like the front of a bull!
No, I don't have anything better to do.

Another rented apartment just like all the rest.
Roomy, sunny, echo-ey. Sea views. Somewhat cold at this time of year.

Edd vs Food #99
Not much dining out to be had, what with the curfew and everything.
Home-made sandwiches as an occasional treat. Cheese savoury, and ham/chorizo/egg mayo.
I just wish I could get hold of some Heinz Salad Cream...or coleslaw...