Monday 3 April 2017

Santiago de Compostela, Spain

Ever since I got here, I've been unable to stop humming to myself the words 'Santiago, Baby' to the tune of the Human League's "Don't You Want Me Baby". That's what we used to sing to former Sunderland defender Santiago Vergini (important to get the vowels right in that surname), scorer of possibly the most spectacular own goal in the history of football.

The Camino de Santiago trail, which terminates here as the name suggests, is a pilgrimage to the supposed tomb of the apostle St James. (Last time I did a pilgrimage in the direction of St James, Sunderland got a 1-1 derby draw and I drank myself almost into a coma.) The city centre is stuffed full of earnest North Face-clad eco-veggie hikers and wild-eyed Jesus-bearded religious nutters. I do not care to mix with either type.

But the locals are alright, and as with pretty much everywhere else in Spain, you can hardly turn a corner without chancing upon somewhere nice for a coffee, a wine or a beer. Unfortunately it's piddled down with rain for most of my time here and that's why the photos are somewhat greyer than usual. Also I have to apologise for the fact - which you may or may not notice - that my photos are a tiny bit blurry at present. This is due to an unfortunate recent incident where I accidentally, and tragically, and bizarrely, and indeed literally, managed to kick my own camera out of my own hands. (Don't ask.) The camera itself is OK but I need a new zoom lens. That will have to wait until I'm back home and in gainful employment.

Random interlude: here are four animals with amusing Spanish names:

Sloth: oso perezoso (literally: "lazy bear")
Woodpecker: pájaro carpintero ("carpenter bird")
Peacock: pavo real ("royal turkey")
Seal: foca (no particular translation, but ha ha anyway)

OK OK I admit it. I've run out of things to write. It must be time for a change of scene.


Church and convent of San Francisco

Plaza Obradoiro

Plaza Mazarelos (1)

Plaza Mazarelos (2)

Museo del Pueblo Gallego (Museum of the Galician People)
Santiago is the capital of the Galicia region.
The Galicians are of Celt stock. Bagpipes are sometimes to be heard here.

Parque de Bonaval

Edd vs Food #59
Churros
This is a very popular breakfast delicacy in Spain.
They're like doughnuts, except thinner and straighter and crispier and much nicer.
You dip them in hot chocolate, to get that perfect sugar/fat combo double whammy.