Tuesday 11 April 2017

Lisbon, Portugal

All good things must come to an end, and this one ends here. Lisbon seems to have a lot of construction and roadworks going on, but in amongst all the cranes and brickdust there are plenty of nice things to look at. See photos below.

My third and final football match of this trip was Sporting Lisbon 4 Boavista 0. Unfortunately I don't have any photos to show for it, because they wouldn't let me take my camera into the stadium: I had to leave it with an attendant in a cloakroom. The language barrier prevented me from finding out why. It's a fairly nice camera, a Canon EOS1100D, but it's nothing especially big or powerful.

Maybe the Sporting Lisbon security staff imagined I was somehow going to infringe the copyright of their licensed photographers? Or maybe they were worried that I was going to try and throw my camera with lethal force at the referee? Not that it matters. They have made a mortal enemy of me. I now count myself a lifelong supporter of their local rivals Benfica, and not just because Benfica play at the Stadium of Light.

There will be quite a long delay before my next epic travel adventure. Mid to late 2018 at the earliest, I think. Amuse yourselves as you see fit in the meantime!

Camara Municipal (City Hall)

Arco da Rua Augusta

Mercado de Fusão, looking north

Rossio Square

Santa Maria de Belém church

Padrào dos Descobrimientos
(Monument to Discoveries)

The national parliament building

The Stadium Of Light. No, the other one.
This is the one that features European football, and home wins.

Parque Eduardo VII