Tuesday 17 November 2015

Melbourne, Australia

In all my foreign travels, ever, Melbourne is the first city in which I've stayed three times. I think they should put up a statue or something.

And for the third time in a row I'm staying with my good friends Sean and Sarah, now complemented by Abigail, a cheerful and assertive toddler who by the purest of coincidences was born almost exactly nine months after my previous visit. Perhaps this might have been expected to provoke a certain froideur on Sean's part when I arrived. But fortunately little Abby's hair contains not the slightest tinge of ginger, and so I think I'm off the hook.

Despite being not quite two years old, Abby has an impressive line in ballet dancing, and I have done my best to encourage her by joining in. You'll be relieved to know that there are no photographs of this.

Along with Abby's parents, I guiltily sneaked out of the house while she was sleeping in order to meet John, my other Melbourne homeboy, for some Korean food. There I made the mistake of letting John's mate Paddy pour the drinks for me. Each glass of lager was rounded off with a Korean rice liquor called soju. I barely remember leaving the restaurant, and the ensuing hangover lasted until the morning after the morning after. All good fun though. As always, my time in Melbourne has been mainly about stuffing my fat greedy face in the company of old friends. Pictorial evidence is below.

But now I'm leaving Australia in search of more exotic shores. After all, I'll need somewhere obscure to hide out if and when Abby's little brother appears.

Edd vs Food #33
Halloumi Brekky (v), with a side order of bacon and chorizo (not v).
At Einstein's Café, 251 Hawthorn Road, Caulfield, Melbourne.

Edd vs Food #34
Korean food. That's all I can tell you. See above.
At Toodouri, Victoria St, Melbourne.

Edd vs Food #35
Cajun chicken pie with wedges and salad....for breakfast. Hangovers need stodge.
At Our Kitchen Table, 134 Burke Road, Malvern East.
Apologies for the partial crotch shot. Sean took the photo.