Saturday 7 November 2015

Brisbane, Australia

I'm staying at the Bunk Backpackers hostel, one of those big raucous military-style establishments, where the world's youth congregate to meet other nationalities and pool their cultural experiences. Ha ha, I'm kidding, of course they don't. They sit with earphones on and stare at iPads and ignore each other.

Unfortunately I've found no reason to revise my low opinion of Australian beer (see previous blog). Fortunately I chanced upon a bar near the hostel, called Bloodhound, which imports a few choice American brews, notably those from Rogue and Stone. I opted for a Stone beer called Arrogant Bastard, which I first tried in West Texas a couple of years ago (see blog), and which you can get at the better off-licences back in Blighty for £3 or £4 a go. Here in Brisbane I was mildly nonplussed to find myself charged $28 for one bottle; that's £12.95 at current exchange rates. Thirteen quid for one small bottle of beer.

I was tempted to say something along the lines of 'At least Dick Turpin wore a mask'; or perhaps some line from a film, say the one from Pulp Fiction where Tim Roth shouts 'Everybody be cool, this is a robbery!' But in the event I was too proud to risk appearing like a cheapskate, so I just went back to my seat, somewhat pale-faced. On my next visit to the bar I actually read the price list first, and then the Bloodhound Bar redeemed itself with cans of Sierra Nevada River Ryed - a new one for me - at a mere $10 (£4.62) a go.

Priciness is a recurring theme in much of Brisbane, especially in the riverside restaurants down on the South Bank, with their excruciatingly pretentious menus (it's practically a law that every single dish must contain at least one ingredient that you've never heard of). One important reason why Australia is quite an expensive place to visit is the relatively high minimum wage: whereas when you get things cheaply in Asia, or indeed in the USA, it generally reflects the fact that you're being provided for by people who are much poorer than you. As such, I don't mind shelling out a few extra quid in Oz. But I draw the line well below thirteen quid for a beer. Yellow card, mate.

Brisbane CBD from south of the river

Brisbane from Mount Coot-Tha a couple of miles away

Hostels...

Edd vs Food #31
Marinated chicken, pita, salad and tzatziki.
At the Lefkas Taverna, 170 Hardgrave Road, West End, Brisbane.
Not the most imaginative choice of dishes from me. But delicious all the same.

Did I mention the derby win the other day?
I don't want anyone to forget with undue haste.
Here's an apoplectic True Geordie on YouTube. He won't be forgetting any time soon.
Poor lad.