Friday 17 October 2014

Savannah, Georgia

Savannah is a marvellous place and it's quite unlike anywhere else I've been in the USA. There aren't really any must-see tourist attractions, and I haven't taken all that many photos, because there's nothing especially remarkable to look at. It's just a very chilled and easy-going assortment of top-quality bars and restaurants, with shady tree-lined streets and nice little parks & fountains every few blocks. If anything it reminds me of the nicer small towns in Ecuador and Argentina. And the shade from the trees is very welcome: even in October it's still swelteringly hot here.

Honorable mentions go to Leopold's Ice Cream and especially to the Crystal Beer Parlour, which scored the full five stars on all three counts of food, beer and service. The local brewery is called South Bound and their Scattered Sun is one of the best Belgian white beers I've ever had.

I also tried an all-you-can-eat soul food buffet, at a restaurant owned by the ever-so-slightly scary TV personality Paula Deen. What did I make of soul food? Well, I liked the fried chicken...I think I can take or leave the rest of it though. One for the 'been there done that' file. But Savannah on the whole is definitely one for the 'come back here one day with friends' file.


The Westin Hotel. Very plush. Obviously I didn't stay there.

Savannah River ferries on the north shore

Forsyth Fountain, Forsyth Park

World Of Beer, 112 W Broughton St, Savannah.
This is my new home. It's been nice knowing you all. 

Edd vs Fast Food #4
Jimmy John's
A 'Totally Tuna' sub.
Better than Subway, not as good as Quiznos. That's all I can say really.