Sunday 19 February 2012

La Paz, Bolivia

I left Puno on a 7am bus, too early to have a proper breakfast beforehand, but I consoled myself at the bus station with a sugary treat in the form of a packet of Nerds. (A long-forgotten pleasure. Can you still get Nerds in the UK?) After crossing into Bolivia, we had to get out of the bus to cross the Tiquina strait – the bus went by barge and the passengers went by motorboat. See pictures for the alpacas by the waterfront, and also for the interesting war memorials. Bolivia used to have a Pacific coast, but lost it to Chile in the war of 1879-1883, and never got it back. As you can see from the picture, they’re still not entirely happy about this.

Anyway, Bolivia…it’s a fairly poor country, with an average income per head of just £3000 or so. Rotten bit of luck for the locals, but looking on the bright side, those are the kind of low wage expectations that enable me to rent a very comfy apartment with a well-stocked kitchen, spectacular views and a big walk-in shower, plus newly-baked bread and freshly-squeezed orange juice brought to my door every morning, all for £35 a night. And having my own kitchen makes it easier to indulge my particularly English culinary tastes. You don’t get far asking for ‘dippy eggs’ in restaurants round here.

I realise I’ve rather overdone the altitude-related statistics recently, but it must be noted that La Paz is the world’s highest capital city. Actually it’s only the administrative capital of Bolivia: the formal capital is Sucre, to the east, but never mind. La Paz spreads all around the bottom and sides of a huge mountainous bowl, and altitudes range from 9,840ft to 13,450ft. It’s spectacular, if exhausting. See photos.

Notwithstanding my recent problems on the gastric front, I was determined to be open-minded and try some Bolivian cuisine. So I went to a French restaurant called La Comedie. My main course was an interesting mix of culinary cultures: grilled llama, served medium rare, in sauce bordelaise. Call it Franco-Bolivian fusion. Llama meat is I think best described as halfway between beef and lamb: lighter and more gamey than beef, but less oily than lamb. Delicious, and highly recommended.

I realise that eating llama may be morally questionable, just as eating guinea pig was a couple of weeks ago. Llamas are arguably at least as cute as guinea pigs, if not more so. But I’m fairly sure that nobody reading this has ever had a pet llama.

So a good day overall: a fine meal and a good win for SAFC, which I was again able to watch live on ESPN, complete with the excitable gabbling Spanish commentary (“gooooooooooooooooooooooaaaaaaaal…………..San-dair-land!!!! Hhhhhrrreeeee-chardson!!!!!”).The gabbling was non-stop, except for one amusing bit of perplexed silence when the camera zoomed in for a moment on Jimmy Montgomery, sitting in the stands. You can’t say ‘who the f**k’s that?’ on the telly. Not even in Spanish.

I’m moving on again tomorrow, as always.


5-star service at the border

Tasteful, sensitive, conciliatory Bolivian war memorial.
'What was once ours, will one day be ours again.' (see above for explanation)

Alpacas by the Tiquina Strait

La Paz

La Paz

La Paz

La Paz

There was a Bolivian farmer
Who reared, and then slaughtered, a llama
When served up to Edd
It left him well fed
And caused him no bowel-based drama!