Sunday 12 February 2012

Cuzco, Peru


It's a bit chilly here in Cuzco, but on the whole I prefer chilly to sweltering. In Lima I was sweating so much that the suntan lotion was melting off my shaved head and trickling forward and down into my eyes. Not a pleasant image, I know, but you get the point. Anyway I'm in good health again, so much so that I was able to take the 21-hour (yep) bus journey here without even needing a pre-emptive Immodium. I had the option of flying - I think it might actually even have been cheaper to do so - but I want to do this coast-to-coast thing properly, and I want to see Peru rather than fly over it.

My digestive system has been nursed back to life with some very safe pre-packaged supermarket food and a steady diet of three-egg omelettes. I’m afraid that even without the toilet issues, South American food hasn’t really enamoured itself to me, thus far at least. Everything is either far too salty or far too sweet. I find myself fantasising about good old English fare – fish fingers, waffles, baked beans, Monster Munch…

 …And most of all, a nice pint of bitter. On the whole I don’t think South America is especially distinguished for its beers either, certainly not compared to Europe or Asia. Corona is reliable but beyond that it’s mainly cut-price staples like Pilsener and Club. (Fortunately in Cuenca I found a little cafĂ© that served Erdinger Weissbrau, well worth the indulgence at $7.80 for a pint.)

In the next couple of days I'm going off on a little expedition. Apparently there are some rocks up a hill somewhere near here which are said to be worth looking at.

Plaza de Armas, Cuzco

San Sebastian, Cuzco

El Sol, Cuzco