Saturday 26 July 2008

Sydney, Australia

Strewth! Yes, the hire car has gone back (with more than 3000km on the clock, and that's just on the South Island), the sheep have been bidden emotional farewells, and I have left New Zealand far behind. I had blithely assumed that the flight from Christchurch to Sydney was just a short hop: it was only 3 hours or so, but at 1319 miles it's still longer than (say) London to St Petersburg.

Contrary to my prior assumptions, I got no real hassle from the Aussie immigration people. The only reason that they said anything to me at all was that I'd ticked the 'have visited rural areas in NZ' box on my customs form and so they asked to see the soles of my shoes as a result. Also the sniffer dog lingered around my bag, but I explained that there had been a ham & egg sandwich in there earlier, and they left it at that.

Sometimes I'm amazed that people are still reading this shite.

Anyway! Sydney...It absolutely pissed down with rain for the whole of my first night and day here, but I kept myself occupied with my usual literary & academic pursuits. Today however the sun shone brightly, so I went out for my traditional Immensely Long Walk and saw all the sights, and perused the delights of the city centre. As can no doubt be attested to by those among my faithful readers who've been to Sydney, and I know there are a few, it's an absolutely fabulous place with plenty to do and look at.

In the Chicago subway the buskers were rapping; in Haight-Ashbury they were playing sitars; today in central Sydney there was a comely young opera singer belting out soprano arias 'a capella' (ie without any instrumental backing). She hit a few quite impressive high notes. I reckon I could have gotten a few higher ones out of her given the chance, ha ha ha. Ahem. See photos.

Next update will be Wednesday I think.

Sydney Tower, from the Archibald Fountain in Hyde Park

Hot Opera Girl

Sydney Opera House and Harbour Bridge