Wednesday 21 May 2008

New York City

In a Burger King. On Broadway.

New York is just like everyone says it is...'nuff said. The bit I especially like is the steam coming up out of the pavements.The buildings are a bit much for me though - I get dizzy just from looking up at that 12-storey chav-pen next to the Bridges, so round here I'm having to keep eyes firmly front.

Incidentally, credit must go to my transatlantic co-passengers Shelli and Desiree (from Pennsylvania) for their valuable USA-related advice and insight. Thanks ladies. My flights went OK, and US customs (contrary to expectations) were very polite and didn't ask me any difficult questions. I got to my hotel for 7pm EST and was relieved to find it was cockroach-free. Not that $150 gets you your own bathroom. Anyway I showered and then went out for a walk, down Park Avenue and then down Broadway, which is how I've ended up in this particular BK.

When I've finished typing this I'm going back to my hotel, stopping off on the way somewhere for a burger or pizza or whatever from somewhere suitably bohemian. (I wouldn't eat in a BK in Sunderland so I'm certainly not going to do it here.) My hotel room is fairly small but it's nice enough. It's on the sixth floor. The window overlooks the roof of a bar next door, and behind that is a another couple of hotels; and behind that is the Empire State Building.

Next update in a couple of days...

Goodnight y'all!




The Empire State Building, on one randomly-chosen camera setting
 


A different randomly-chosen camera setting