Saturday 31 May 2008

Chicago, IL (continued)

Chicago is really growing on me, so I've decided to slow down the pace a bit and hang back here for a while. I've got the whole of June to do the west coast, after all.

I'm not sure if I'll revisit the Greyhound experience but I'll definitely use Amtrak again. The seats are nice and roomy and you can get something approaching a decent night's sleep. Incidentally, on my train here, there were two or three Amish girls sitting behind me, both of whom I found peculiarly sexy in a way which I probably need to repress right now.

This being America, things are going very well in the food department. I did have good intentions about having a varied and economical diet by cooking in the hostel kitchen, but unfortunately such lofty aims are difficult to maintain when Subway are doing footlongs for $5. Mmmmmm, footlongs.

Yesterday I hired a bike and cycled up and down the 'lakeside path', which is 18 miles or so of very nice Lake Michigan beachfront. It's a freshwater lake and as such the water has a distinct swimming-pool colour to it, which is nice but rather weird. The weather here is nice but somewhat temperamental - I got mildly sunburned and utterly drenched in one day yesterday. I then rounded the day off by going along on a group trip to the Lincoln Square German festival, which featured folk music and bratwurst and other authentically German things like that but which was of course just an excuse to get arseholed on imported German lager in big pint-and-a-half jugs. Slightly rough this morning, but only slightly. After spending my first week and a half in the USA just whizzing around travelling and seeing stuff, it was nice to relax a bit and get talking to people properly. My fellow pissheads last night were several Americans, an Aussie, a Brazilian and a lass who lives in Fenham (she's from Stockport originally so she's not a Geordie, otherwise I obviously wouldn't have spoken to her at all.)

Today I'm going to just relax and go down to the beach and read a book. Tomorrow I'm off to Lincoln Park, where I hope to avoid naff overrated nu-metal boybands and instead betake myselfto the zoo.

Apologies to anyone who has emailed me and not seen a reply. I'm already spending way too much money on Internet terminals and I need most of that time just to sort out my various travel and accommodation stuff.



Chicago



Navy Pier, Chicago