Tuesday 11 December 2018

Malta

I searched for somewhere with a) cheap flights from Crete and b) cheap flights to Newcastle. Malta leapt out at me and so here I am. Nice place, lovely weather, a bit crowded, etc. Over the years I've spent a lot of time in hostels full of younger people, but here, I really think I'm the youngest guest in my hotel. They have bingo in the afternoons.

Anyway, in the absence of anything interesting to report from Malta, it's time for a brief summary of my trip in retrospect...

MOST FAVOURED PLACE
I'm going to make this a tie between Kosovo and Tirana. From now on I count myself a particular friend of the Albanian people and I will applaud Liverpool winger Xherdan Shaqiri every time he makes that eagle gesture.

LEAST FAVOURED PLACE
Again a tie, and with all due respect to both places and their residents...Dubrovnik (polluted, touristy) and Belgrade (grim, sinister). Not going back.

BEST MEAL
Falafels and sundries at The Chickpea in Crete (see previous blog)

MOST INCOMPREHENSIBLE LANGUAGE
A crowded field, with many strong contenders, but Maltese wins by a nose. I didn't manage to pick up a single word.

TOE UPDATE
Three weeks after I banged it, it's gone back to its normal colour, but not its normal shape. Hmm. Possibly I may go to the doctor when I'm home.

NEXT TRIP
Hard to say. If the pound sinks any lower then it might have to be Whitley Bay. And what happens if a hard Brexit means I'd get interned at Calais anyway? I'm afraid I shall have to just keep you all in suspense for another year. Though it may be a bit less than that.

Happy Xmas everybody.


Fort St Angelo, seen from Valletta 

Msida Yacht Marina 

The east end of Republic St, Valletta.
They like their colourful balconies in Malta.

Sliema
This is where I'm staying.
It's nice, but I wish that cat would stop staring at me.

Marsaskala

St Paul's Cathedral, Mdina
Clearly Mdina is a place where they like a prayer, ha ha.