Saturday 19 December 2015

Bangkok, Thailand

As much as I love travelling in South-East Asia, I wish they wouldn't cut the crusts off sandwiches. Also it would be nice if they'd stop advertising sugary hot dogs as 'sausages'. And I can never quite accept their peculiar attitudes towards queueing and personal space. But I can happily forgive their poor command of the English language. The highlight of one evening this week was a Thai bar singer's rendition of 'Creep' by Radiohead ("I wish I was spatial...you're so f***ing spatial...").

Bangkok doesn't need any lengthy insights from me, because it's already well known to many of you, and it's one of those places about which probably most things you read elsewhere are true. It's also the place where I reached the end of my 2008 world trip, the first time I’d ever travelled properly. I remember feeling very subdued and thoughtful in the taxi taking me to the airport for the flight home, because the greatest adventure of my life had just ended and I couldn’t help wondering if - having given up my career and spent literally all my money - I might never get the chance to do something like that again.

Since then I’ve been fortunate enough to have had more adventures: South America in 2012, round the world again in 2013, the USA road trip in 2014, and now this third journey round the world. But which trip is my favourite? If pressed, I'd have to say…the next one.

For which, watch this space in 2016. In the meantime, happy holidays Merry Christmas to you all.


SkyTrain heading for Mo Chit

Looking west down Ratchadamoenklang Road at the Democracy Monument.
This was during the 'Bike For Dad' mass public cycling event.
'Dad' in this case being the King.

The Maha Nakhon building.
It's not quite finished at the top, but the rest of it is meant to look like that.

Inside the Grand Palace


Ananta Samakhom Throne Hall (built 1915)

Wat Benchamabopit Dusitwanaram Ratchaworawihan
(that's easy for you to say)

Edd vs Food #39
Beef burrito and self-service salsa at Sunrise Tacos.
I've had enough Asian food for one year, thanks.