Thursday 10 September 2015

Los Angeles, CA

Tuesday was literally the longest day of my life. 32 hours. 8 time zones is the furthest west I've ever travelled in one go. For those of you with whom I haven't spoken recently: yes, this is the start of another jaunt, and a very big one at that.

I'm not at all enamoured of Newcastle Airport since its recent 'makeover'. I resent having to do the IKEA-style Yellow Brick Road trek through the handbags and smellies and other assorted tat before getting to the bars, all of which now seem aimed at orange-skinned people who have white deep-pile carpets and drive Audi TTs and grow goatee beards to cover their double chins.

And my 11-hour transatlantic flight from Heathrow was delayed by two and a half hours. The only saving grace was that I got one of the seats right at the front of cattle class, where one does at least get all the legroom one wants. During the flight I watched 'American Sniper', which prompted some novel ideas for making Sunderland city centre a bit more pleasant on a weekday afternoon.

Sadly, Los Angeles remains a complete dump. But I'm only here for one night, just breaking up the journey. Tomorrow I'm moving on again, and then after a few days hopefully a more cheerful and informative blog post will follow. I don't take my readers for granted, you know.

Los Angeles.
It's crap.