Wednesday 5 November 2014

Denver, Colorado (continued)

Marijuana. Cannabis, grass, hash, dope, draw, weed, green, Mary Jane, chronic, cheeba, da sheeeeet. Available freely to buy and own, courtesy of that august and reverend body of men and women, the voters of Colorado. Strictly speaking, you still can't smoke it in public; but as far as obstacles go, that's not exactly Beecher's Brook.

The ballot measure was signed into law by Governor John Hickenlooper, who is not just a politican but also the co-founder of the Wynkoop brewery (see Edd vs Food in last blog) and Denver's first brewpub. A strong contrast with the Lilliputians back home. What have Cameron or Clegg or Millipede ever done in the real world? As for the wider effects of legalisation, well, as far as I can tell Colorado is much the same as it was, except that the rake-off from the marijuana trade now gets paid in taxes rather than going to mass murdering Mexican psychopaths. Seems like a no-brainer to me.

You can buy the stuff in a number of different places, and in any form, from resin & grass to cakes & pre-rolled 'blunts'. (By the way did I mention that I went to a Hallowe'en fancy dress party? All I could find at short notice was a ghost-themed 'Despicable Me' T-shirt. There were numerous zombies and also one of the barmaids was there as Uma Thurman in Pulp Fiction, complete with nosebleed and syringe sticking out of her chest. One woman even came as 'Sharknado'. That costume's kind of hard to describe, but it worked.) It's not too expensive and of course the cakes are a bit easier to get away with consuming somewhere you technically shouldn't be consuming them. (Also I forgot to mention that I visited the Coors brewery, in a town called Golden just outside Denver; it's the biggest single-site brewery in the world and frankly it looks more like a nuclear power station than a brewery. They churn out all kinds of undrinkable effluent there, but they also make Blue Moon so all is forgiven.) Where was I? Oh yes, hash cakes. I'm easily distracted right now because there's a guy sitting near me who frankly I don't trust at all. His eyes are too close together. His green sneakers surely bespeak evil intent. You can't be too careful in Denver and anyway this chair's way too uncomfortable to sit still on. The sofa's a bit better. It's still noisy but I don't know where the noises are coming from and nobody else seems to be hearing them. My thumbs have gone weird. I think I need to eat some sugar or something. Actually I could eat just about anything right now. Apart from this last pot cake. It's marshmallow flavour and the guy at the shop said they were good microwaved but I'm concerned that if I microwave it then it'll expand into a big Michelin Man monster like from Ghostbusters and then it'll squish me and turn Sigourney Weaver into a dog. I would go and microwave some soup, but it's right over the other side of the room and I don't think I can actually stand up at this precise moment. But I need to get up because if I don't then they'll all come and get me. All of them. What if weed's been criminalised again? I could be deported or go to jail. No, that's not likely. I think I have diplomatic immunity. I love burritos. And this sofa is getting really comfortable now. It' s making me feel sleepy. Must be all that walking I did earlier. Things To Do In Denver When You're Edd, ha ha ha. Soup can wait. I'll be safe having a little sleep because there's no-one here except that pleasant chap with the green sneakers and he's a really good mate of mine. Haven't spoken to him yet but clearly he's alright. He looks like he has a happy soul. Denver's a nice place. Did I mention it's been called the Mile High City for years because of the altitude? Now they could still use that name even if the altitude changed or something and it went like down to sea level or something. Cos everybody would still be a mile high ha ha. Although if there was a volcano earthquake combo type thing and it went up to ten thousand feet then it would be the Two Mile High City and that wouldn't be as good. There's a guy in the bunk below me who listens to drum & bass music all day and all night. He says he used to weigh 400lbs but lost half of it just by dancing to drum & bass. Earphones in 24/7. His feet twitch in his sleep and he dances down the street when he's walking. Sort of like the American version of Dave the Rave. If you're not from Sunderland then you won't know who Dave the Rave is. You should come to Sunderland and check him out. Him and Ernie the Bag Man. Is my soup ready? Oops no I haven't opened the tin yet. There's a beeping noise but that's my alarm clock going off with some kind of reminder. Something about an airport and a taxi. Who takes a plane to the taxi rank? Weird. I don't care. I'm hungry and I want cheese.