Sunday 21 April 2013

Tucson, AZ

I was probably a little bit too polite at the end of my last blog. Honesty is the best policy. LA is a complete shit-hole and I wouldn't live there even if you paid me to do so and threw in a free Hollywood Hills mansion, complete with limo and driver.

So I hopped on an overnight Amtrak. On arrival at Tucson station, I ordered a croque monsieur and a coffee, and went on the interweb to discover that SAFC 1 Everton 0 had literally just happened (this was at 4.50pm BST on Saturday). What a lovely way to start the day.

The hire car I collected from Tuscon Airport - 'guns in checked baggage only, not in the cabin, thank you' - was my first ever encounter with left-hand drive, unless you count dodgems. Fortunately I soon adjusted and my nice Nissan Altima 2.5S has served me well. 

As you'll see from the photos, my time here has been largely rural. Tucson itself is a really interesting place and it's much more funky and bohemian than you might expect, especially in terms of nightlife. I wouldn't put it in my all-time top 10, but I'd definitely come back if I was passing.

PS re my offer, in the last blog, of a free drink to anyone who guessed correctly where I was going next...nobody got it right. Thanks for trying anyway!

Tucson


Tucson Mountain Park

Saguaro National Park

Saguaro National Park.
The peak in the distance is 46 miles away.
Sabino Canyon


Sabino Canyon