Monday 15 April 2013

Melbourne, Australia

Eagle-eyed readers will have noticed two innovations in the previous blog entry...

Firstly, I’ve never before included a picture of myself. This is because a) you all know what I look like, and b) there are always more interesting things to look at. However on this occasion I did feel that what happened between me and Libby off of Neighbours - and it was a beautiful, natural thing between a man and a woman - needed to be recorded for posterity. It does compromise me a bit for paternity suits and stuff, but that’s a chance I’m willing to take.

Secondly, it was my first blog from a fictional location. Yes, Erinsborough doesn’t actually exist. And neither does Ramsay Street. The outdoor scenes are filmed in a real street called Pin Oak Court, in Vermont South. Any time you see a picture of someone next to the ‘Ramsay Street’ sign, you’ll notice that they always have a hand on it: this is because the sign isn't stuck to the ground. It arrives and leaves with the tour bus, and it has to be held upright. Sorry to spoil the magic.

Anyway, this is my second trip to Melbourne (see July / August 2008 below), and once again I’m indebted to my good friends Sarah, Sean and John for having the good grace to come out here in advance and prepare the way for my visit. Melbourne is a lovely place, overflowing with top quality restaurants, bars and everything else. It’s also rather frightfully expensive (a beer is usually anywhere between £6 and £10 at current exchange rates) but I’ve had free accommodation so who cares? You can’t take it with you, etc.

On Saturday the four of us spent the day in the Yarra Valley on a wine-tasting tour, which also involved sampling some delicious fruits and soft cheeses, as well as a three-course lunch. At first we were all being very cultured - comparing notes about tannin inflections, top-notes of elderflower, and voluptuous aftertastes – but the spittoon was left dry all day, and by hometime we were all pretty sozzled.

On Sunday Sean and I went to the Melbourne Cricket Ground to watch Aussie Rules football: Collingwood vs Hawthorn. The latter play in black and white stripes, so we supported the former, and the former won. 

Better still, at 9pm, along with Sarah and John and my new mates Paddy and Humphrey, we found an Irish bar in which to see Sunderland AFC open a big, fizzy can of freshly squeezed whup-ass all over our nearest and dearest from up the road. Paolo Di Canio has secured a warm place in my affections! The next day, at Subway, I paid tribute to him by having an Italian BMT on Italian herb & cheese for my lunch. La vita e bella. (Unless, of course, you’re a police horse getting punched by a rioting Geordie cretin.)

Melbourne

AFL at the MCG

Posh used-car garage car #1: vintage Ferrari

Posh used-car garage car #2: vintage Mustang

Sean and I have been enjoying some of this.
Sarah doesn't mind, but Libby isn't best pleased.